"It gave me a physical break, a mental break and a chance to re-evaluate myself and my season," Kela said before the series opener. "I was able to look at the positives rather than the negatives."
Jackson, a righty, was with the Rangers for the three-game series against the Mariners, but he did not get into a game.
• Left-hander Andrew Faulkner was promoted from Double-A Frisco to Round Rock. Faulkner began the season as a starter, but he was moved to the bullpen. Opponents are hitting .148 off him as a reliever with a 1.02 WHIP. Left-handed hitters are batting .202 off him. Faulkner could be a September callup to give the Rangers an extra left-handed reliever to go with Sam Freeman and Jake Diekman.
• Tanner Scheppers, who is on the disabled list with a bone bruise in his left knee, has been assigned to Frisco on a medical rehabilitation assignment. He has been out since Aug. 2.
• Pitcher Yu Darvish is coming up to the five-month point in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. He is expected to be examined by Dr. Keith Meister this week and could be cleared to begin a throwing program.
• Derek Holland, on the disabled list with a strained muscle in his left shoulder, is expected to make his fourth start on a rehab assignment with Frisco on Friday. Holland pitched 3 1/3 innings for Frisco on Sunday, allowing three runs on seven hits, one walk and four strikeouts. He threw 63 pitches with an additional 10 in the bullpen. The goal for his next outing is 75-80 pitches. He will likely need at least one more start after that.
• Injured catchers Robinson Chirinos (strained left shoulder) and Carlos Corporan (bruised left thumb) are both playing catch in Arlington. Chirinos has also begun to take some light swings.
T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields, follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.