Borbon considering ankle surgery

Borbon considering ankle surgery

Borbon considering ankle surgery
SEATTLE -- Rangers outfielder Julio Borbon, on the disabled list at Triple-A Round Rock with a sprained left ankle, is considering the possibility of surgery. That would likely sideline him for six to eight weeks.

Borbon fractured his ankle in 2007 during his junior year at Tennessee. The injury also resulted in some ligament damage and surgery would help strengthen his joint. Nothing has been decided.

"He's looking at some options," general manager Jon Daniels said. "Right now he is getting treatment. But having injured it a couple of times and being a speed player, he wants to make sure the ankle is good and strong."

Borbon was the Rangers' Opening Day center fielder but went on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring on May 14. He was removed from the disabled list on June 3 but sent to Round Rock because the Rangers liked the production they were getting from Endy Chavez.

Chavez and Craig Gentry have formed a platoon partnership in center field. Chavez went into the second half hitting .330 with 21 runs scored, three home runs and 12 RBIs over 33 games and 106 at-bats. Gentry, who has shown to be a standout defensive player, was hitting .257 in 33 games but is batting .316 since the beginning of June. The Rangers also have David Murphy.

"They have been doing a good job," Daniels said. "It gives [manager Ron Washington] some options and he's able to keep guys fresh. Ron has done a good job getting contributions from everybody."

If the Rangers need help in center field, Leonys Martin could be considered. A Cuban defector who signed with the Rangers earlier this season, Martin was recently promoted to Round Rock after hitting .348 in 29 games at Double-A Frisco.

"I'm hoping we don't have a need, but he is in Triple-A and on the roster," Daniels said. "If there is a need, it would be something we'd talk about."