Frisco, Texas -- The Texas Rangers announced several roster moves today in finalizing the club’s 2012 Opening Day 25-man roster. The Rangers have made the following moves:
- Optioned outfielder Julio Borbon to Round Rock (AAA).
- Placed right-handed pitcher Yoshinori Tateyama on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 30, with a low back muscle strain.
- Assigned infielder Luis Hernandez to Round Rock (AAA).
- Purchased the contracts of left-handed pitcher Robbie Ross and infielder Alberto Gonzalez.
- Designated right-handed pitcher Cody Eppley for assignment.
- Assigned left-handed pitcher Neal Cotts to Round Rock (AAA).
Below is a listing of the 2012 Opening Day roster:
RH Pitchers (9)
LH Pitchers (3)
15-Day Disabled List (1)
RHP Yoshinori Tateyama (low back muscle strain)
The Rangers have four players on an Opening Day roster for the first time: Yu Darvish, Craig Gentry, Robbie Ross, and Brandon Snyder. Darvish and Ross will both be seeking to make their major league debuts. There are also five players looking to make their Texas debuts: Darvish, Alberto Gonzalez, Joe Nathan, Ross, and Snyder.
The first date Tateyama would be eligible to be activated is April 14. The Rangers have 10 days to trade, release, or outright Eppley to the minor leagues. Cotts has been placed on the Round Rock disabled list and will continue to rehab his strained left latissimus dorsi (lat) muscle at the club’s facility in Surprise, Ariz.
With the addition of Ross and Gonzalez, the Rangers begin the season with 40 players on the club’s 40-man roster.
HEILMAN SIGNED: The Rangers have signed RHP Aaron Heilman, 33, to a minor league contract and assigned him to Round Rock (AAA). Heilman spent this spring with Seattle before he was released on Sunday. He allowed one run in 4.0 innings over 4 appearances in ‘A’ games for the Mariners this spring. Heilman made 32 appearances for Arizona in 2011 and also pitched at Triple-A for Lehigh Valley (Phillies) and Indianapolis (Pittsburgh). A nine-year major league veteran, he has a career record of 35-46 with a 4.40 ERA (308 ER/630.0 IP) over 477 games/25 starts with New York-NL (2003-08), Chicago-NL (2009), and Arizona (2010-11).