Kinsler starts season without contract extension

Kinsler starts season without contract extension

ARLINGTON -- Ian Kinsler opened the season as the Rangers' leadoff hitter on Friday. He also opened the season without the contract extension that his agent, Jay Franklin, had been discussing with the Rangers.

The two sides were talking about a six-year deal worth between $80 and $100 million. Apparently they got close and were still working at it on Thursday night. But they did not get close enough to get it done by Opening Day.

"Close enough to be disappointed that it's not done," Kinsler said before going 2-for-4 with a homer in Friday's 3-2 victory over the White Sox.

Kinsler is still signed through this season and the Rangers hold an option on him for $10 million in 2013. After that, he is eligible to be a free agent.

Kinsler said he did not want the discussions to go past Opening Day. It may be possible that Franklin continues private discussions with the Rangers during the season without involving Kinsler until a deal gets done.

"If they do continue to talk, I don't want to be involved," Kinsler said. "I really don't want to. I want to concentrate on baseball. It's an added distraction I don't want to be there. I'm concentrating on baseball. I'm not worried about that. We've got a game to play, the first one of the season."