The Texas Rangers finalized their 2013 opening day roster with a series of moves today.
The complete list of transactions follows:
- RHP Colby Lewis placed on the 15 day disabled list, retroactive to March 22 (recovering from right flexor pronator surgery).
- RHP Joakim Soria placed on the 15 day disabled list, retroactive to March 22 (recovering from "Tommy John" surgery).
- LHP Martin Perez placed on the 15 day disabled list, retroactive to March 22 (broken left wrist).
- RHP Cory Burns, RHP Josh Lindblom, and INF Jurickson Profar optioned to Triple-A Round Rock.
- Contracts of INF Jeff Baker and RHP Derek Lowe purchased from Triple-A Round Rock.
In addition, the Rangers announced that INF Brandon Allen has been released from Triple-A Round Rock.
The Rangers have five players on an Opening Day roster for the first time: Leury Garcia, Michael Kirkman, Leonys Martin, Joe Ortiz, and Tanner Scheppers. Garcia and Ortiz will be seeking to make their major league debuts. There are also seven players looking to make their Texas debuts: Jeff Baker, Lance Berkman, Jason Frasor, Garcia, Derek Lowe, Ortiz, and A.J. Pierzynski. There are 12 new players on the Rangers opening day roster from the team that began the 2012 regular season.
The additions of Baker and Lowe put the Rangers major league roster at the 40-man limit. Texas opens the 2013 season versus the Houston Astros on Sunday night at Minute Maid Park. Texas' 2013 opening day roster:
PITCHERS (11): Yu Darvish, Jason Frasor, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland, Michael Kirkman, Derek Lowe, Joe Nathan, Alexi Ogando, Joe Ortiz, Robbie Ross, Tanner Scheppers.
CATCHERS (2): A.J. Pierzynski, Geovany Soto.
INFIELDERS (7): Elvis Andrus, Jeff Baker, Adrian Beltre, Lance Berkman, Leury Garcia, Ian Kinsler, Mitch Moreland.
OUTFIELDERS (5): Julio Borbon, Nelson Cruz, Craig Gentry, Leonys Martin, David Murphy.
DISABLED LIST (4): Neftali Feliz (60-day), Colby Lewis (15-day), Martin Perez (15-day), Joakim Soria (15-day).